Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Makin' Syrup



Last week at our bi-monthly coop we learned how to tap maple trees, collect sap, and cook it down into maple syrup. Sunburst and I have been intrigued by this idea for years, and wow! It turns out that it's a fairly simple process.

In our excitement, we went straight out and collected our equipment:
  • Hand drill, 7/16" drill bit
  • Taps and hooks
  • Empty gallon water jugs for collection
  • Turkey Fryer cooking base
  • Propane tank
  • Large enamel pot
  • Ball pint jars
Since we live in the city we had to opt for a legal outdoor heat source like propane. According to the literature, it takes anywhere from 32 -50 gallons of sap to make ONE gallon of syrup, depending on the kind of maple tree you tap and the sugar content of your sap. That's a lot of water to cook out, so you boil sap for several hours every day during maple season. We have seven taps running right now on three maple trees, and that gives us about 3 gallons of sap per day. That's as much as will fit in my pot, leaving the tiniest bit of room in hopes that it doesn't boil over. A two-day accumulation of boiled sap gives me just one pint of syrup.

It doesn't sound like much, does it? But that one little bit of syrup makes my heart sing! I don't think I've been this excited about anything in a long time!

There is a wealth of information out there on tapping trees in your own backyard. I can't recommend it enough! If you try this at home, please remember to thank your trees!



Be sure to check out Aleisha's great photos of our co-op tree-tapping event.

Online resources:
How to Tap Maple Trees and Make Maple Syrup (pdf)
Make Your Own

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:29 AM

    Oh this is wonderful to find lots of waldorf mummys out there blogging! How can I have missed you before!?
    my ds was just talking to me about how to collect maple syrup from a tree as we bought a big jug of it recently. He will love this!

    best wishes

    rainbowsandshukr.blogsome.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I appreciate your sweet words so much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Site Meter