Monday, March 29, 2010

Mushroom hunting on Saturday

















Mushrooms by Sylvia Plath

Overnight, very
Whitely, discreetly,
Very quietly

Our toes, our noses
Take hold on the loam,
Acquire the air.

Nobody sees us,
Stops us, betrays us;
The small grains make room.

Soft fists insist on
Heaving the needles,
The leafy bedding,

Even the paving.
Our hammers, our rams,
Earless and eyeless,

Perfectly voiceless,
Widen the crannies,
Shoulder through holes. We

Diet on water,
On crumbs of shadow,
Bland-mannered, asking

Little or nothing.
So many of us!
So many of us!

We are shelves, we are
Tables, we are meek,
We are edible,

Nudgers and shovers
In spite of ourselves.
Our kind multiplies:

We shall by morning
Inherit the earth.
Our foot's in the door.

4 comments:

  1. Your pictures are incredible! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my, these pictures are breathtaking! Thank you so much for taking time to capture and share your mushroom hunt!!

    The Sylvia Plath poem is quite nice, too. I oft forget how much I need poetry in my life.

    You take good care of us, Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:57 PM

    Ds1 will love these photos...he's really into fungus. ;)

    Boy, you've been busy blogging, I see from all the posts I've missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! It was such fun hunting and taking these pictures-- I'm pleased you all enjoyed them!!

    Moxy, miss you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I appreciate your sweet words so much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Site Meter