Thursday, September 27, 2012

Updates and some knitting



We've been hiding from the rain and the chill the last few days, so I've actually gotten some work done this week.  It feels so good to get things accomplished!  We're preparing for a little journey in a couple of weeks, and my plate has been so full that things have been slopping off of it.  I'm ticking things off the list one by one.  It's all I can do.

I've been getting a bit of knitting done at night when it's just too cold to sit at the computer.  I wanted to share this particular piece with you because I had a bit of fun with the buttons.  This little sweater is going to a working mom who is so very dear to me.  She has no time for hand-washing knits, so no wooden buttons!  These are in fact hand-drawn onto shrinkles paper.  I found the very simple and wonderful tutorial at Scissors Paper Wok.

Here are the buttons before going into the oven.



 
And here they are afterwards.  So cute!




The sweater pattern is the 7-hour Toddler Girl's Sweater, and I love how it knitted up.  I hope the recipient loves it, too.


Now for the updates!

First up, I've finally managed to update my resource list for Grades 1-3.  Wow, what a lot of work that was!  But I hope it's much more helpful now.  You'll find a lot of new resources there-- books that have come out in the last few years that I absolutely love, as well as a few amazing websites I've had bookmarked.  I plan to update the lists for Grades 4-8 soon...

Second, I've mucked around with the sidebar a bit.  There is now a picture of me for those of you who have been wondering for ages how many heads, eyes, or antennae I have, now you will know.  I have resisted putting up a picture of myself for ages because I really dislike being photographed.  I tend to make really goofy faces no matter how hard I try to look normal.  And I've been told that my smile is so big it could swallow nations.  I'm not sure if that was intended as a compliment or not, but I can't argue with the truth.

Other things you'll see on the sidebar-- more labels!  I don't know why only a few labels were showing before, but now they are all visible, even some weird ones.  I've even gone back and added labels to almost my entire first year of posts... you know, the ones I wrote way back before labels existed.  Have I really been blogging for almost seven years?!  And because sometimes labels just don't cut it, I've added a search bar as well.

The last new sidebar addition is a list of our patterns and tutorials.  It's not a complete list, but it's a start.  The list includes patterns both shared on the blog and in other publications, including two lovely farm pieces that were featured in Living Crafts magazine a few years ago.  I have a new knitting pattern to share on the blog (tomorrow!), an upcoming woodworking tutorial, and another knitting pattern coming soon from Sunburst, so please watch this space.

Now if I could only figure out how to set up a virtual cafe in my sidebar, we could all sit and chat together in real time... ah, to dream!
 

10 comments:

  1. You have been a busy bee! I adore those buttons you made. I never cease to be amazed by your talents.

    7-hour sweater? Hah! Maybe for you. For me it'd be a year and a half. ;D

    That's a great photo of you, but it doesn't do justice to your smile in real life!

    Oooh, work on that virtual cafe thing, please. I'd love to sip tea with, and be inspired by, you!

    Good luck with getting everything done! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Teresa. You are too sweet! And just to clarify, the pattern name is 7-hour; It definitely took me longer than that. ;)

      Sitting with YOU would be an honor. To think all those years wasted when we lived in the same town and didn't know each other...

      Delete
    2. I know! I guess that's what happens when the kids aren't in the same age bracket...we don't end up going to the same fieldtrips and classes.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for all the hard work and for sharing your resources! That is very helpful. Blogs can take a lot of time if you are trying to make them useful and beautiful :). Lovely picture of you and lovely smile! A happy mother is so important and a big smile reflects this.

    By the way, what is "shrinkles" paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eva. :)

      Shrinkles is a brand of what we used to call "shrinky dinks" back in the day. This particular kind has a white paper-like backing, which looks just lovely on the buttons.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, now I know.

      Delete
  3. This is such an awesome idea!!! I am going to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel. That is exactly what I said when I saw the pictures on the Scissors.Paper.Wok blog. It is a bit addictive. :)

      Delete
  4. The cardigan looks lovely and the shrinkles/shrinky dink buttons are a wonderful idea (that I may well have to try myself).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I appreciate your sweet words so much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Site Meter